John Tavner From LDSFF

Finrock
Marshmallow

Re: John Tavner From LDSFF

Post by Finrock »

Enoch wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:05 pm
Finrock wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:18 pm
Enoch wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Can you explain this a little further - I hold back there sometimes cause I don't want to 'injure' others -
There is injury to ego and then injury to the person. Injuries to one's ego are not actually harmful to the person.

If I am not confident in myself and have a fragile ego then when someone says something to me that challenges my image of myself, I'm likely to react with anger or fear, because I've build up a false image. When we don't acknowledge our weaknesses or when we aren't honest about ourselves, it's because we don't like that or some aspect of ourselves and we don't want to admit it. Our ego allows us to have the illusion of having all our shit together. It gives us a script by which we interact with the world or a character we are playing.

Once you overcome your ego you can't be hurt by the words of others. Nobody can hurt me with their words. I can't be offended because there is nothing anymore about myself that I don't already have an awareness of (with exceptions but we are talking about the judgment of someone who doesn't really want my best interest) or that I don't know about myself. I can guarantee that I know more about my flaws than some dude on a forum does. So when someone says words intended to hurt me, it's like water on a duck. They don't know me and they don't love me (usually, again exceptions exist).

I know about this fact. So when I know my heart is pure (I'm not reacting cause someone upset me or hurt my ego) I speak without fear. I know my words can only really hurt someone's fragile ego and that is a good thing. I'm not gaining anything from being sharp. It's not for me. I know that I can control my mind and my emotions. That means others can too if they really want to. No excuses.
Wow I loved this, such great teaching! How do you overcome your ego?
Jung, Jung, Jung I want to read A passage from one of his lectures Which I think is One of the greatest things he ever wrote And which has been a very marvelous thing for me People forget That even doctors have moral scruples And that certain patients' confessions Are hard even for a doctor to swallow Yet the patient does not feel himself accepted

[Chorus] Unless the very worst of him is accepted too Unless the very worst of him is accepted too And yet, the patient does not feel himself accepted Unless the very worst of him is accepted too

No one could bring this about by mere words It comes only through reflection And through the doctor’s attitude towards himself Of his own dark side If the doctor wants to guide another or even accompany him a step of the way He must feel with that person's psyche When he passes judgment

[Chorus] Unless the very worst of him is accepted too Unless the very worst of him is accepted too And yet, the patient does not feel himself accepted Unless the very worst of him is accepted too

Whether he puts his judgements into words or keeps them to himself Makes not the slightest difference To take the opposite position And to agree with the patient offhand is also of no use Feeling comes only through unprejudiced objectivity

This sounds almost like a scientific precept And it could be confused with a purely intellectual abstract attitude of mind But what I mean is something quite different It is a human quality A kind of deep respect for the facts For the man who suffers from them And for the riddle of such a man's life The truly religious person has this attitude He knows that God has brought All sorts of strange and inconceivable things to pass And seeks in the most curious ways to enter a man’s heart He therefore senses In everything the unseen presence of the divine will

[Chorus] Unless the very worst of him is accepted too Unless the very worst of him is accepted too And yet, the patient does not feel himself accepted Unless the very worst of him is accepted too [Chorus] Unless the very worst of him is accepted too Unless the very worst of him is accepted too And yet, the patient does not feel himself accepted Unless the very worst of him is accepted too

This is what I mean by unprejudiced objectivity It is a moral achievement on the part of the doctor Who ought not to let himself be repelled By sickness and corruption
I recommend listening to whole 15 minute EP. Worth it. You can find the talk too by Alan Watts if music bothers you.

The Wolf EP

The Wolf - Song

Enoch
Marshmallow

Post by Enoch »

Finrock wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:41 pm
Enoch wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:05 pm
Finrock wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:18 pm

There is injury to ego and then injury to the person. Injuries to one's ego are not actually harmful to the person.

If I am not confident in myself and have a fragile ego then when someone says something to me that challenges my image of myself, I'm likely to react with anger or fear, because I've build up a false image. When we don't acknowledge our weaknesses or when we aren't honest about ourselves, it's because we don't like that or some aspect of ourselves and we don't want to admit it. Our ego allows us to have the illusion of having all our shit together. It gives us a script by which we interact with the world or a character we are playing.

Once you overcome your ego you can't be hurt by the words of others. Nobody can hurt me with their words. I can't be offended because there is nothing anymore about myself that I don't already have an awareness of (with exceptions but we are talking about the judgment of someone who doesn't really want my best interest) or that I don't know about myself. I can guarantee that I know more about my flaws than some dude on a forum does. So when someone says words intended to hurt me, it's like water on a duck. They don't know me and they don't love me (usually, again exceptions exist).

I know about this fact. So when I know my heart is pure (I'm not reacting cause someone upset me or hurt my ego) I speak without fear. I know my words can only really hurt someone's fragile ego and that is a good thing. I'm not gaining anything from being sharp. It's not for me. I know that I can control my mind and my emotions. That means others can too if they really want to. No excuses.
Wow I loved this, such great teaching! How do you overcome your ego?
Jung, Jung, Jung I want to read A passage from one of his lectures Which I think is One of the greatest things he ever wrote And which has been a very marvelous thing for me People forget That even doctors have moral scruples And that certain patients' confessions Are hard even for a doctor to swallow Yet the patient does not feel himself accepted

No one could bring this about by mere words It comes only through reflection And through the doctor’s attitude towards himself Of his own dark side If the doctor wants to guide another or even accompany him a step of the way He must feel with that person's psyche When he passes judgment

Whether he puts his judgements into words or keeps them to himself Makes not the slightest difference To take the opposite position And to agree with the patient offhand is also of no use Feeling comes only through unprejudiced objectivity

This sounds almost like a scientific precept And it could be confused with a purely intellectual abstract attitude of mind But what I mean is something quite different It is a human quality A kind of deep respect for the facts For the man who suffers from them And for the riddle of such a man's life The truly religious person has this attitude He knows that God has brought All sorts of strange and inconceivable things to pass And seeks in the most curious ways to enter a man’s heart He therefore senses In everything the unseen presence of the divine will

[Chorus] Unless the very worst of him is accepted too Unless the very worst of him is accepted too And yet, the patient does not feel himself accepted Unless the very worst of him is accepted too [Chorus] Unless the very worst of him is accepted too Unless the very worst of him is accepted too And yet, the patient does not feel himself accepted Unless the very worst of him is accepted too

This is what I mean by unprejudiced objectivity It is a moral achievement on the part of the doctor Who ought not to let himself be repelled By sickness and corruption
I recommend listening to whole 15 minute EP. Worth it. You can find the talk too by Alan Watts if music bothers you.

The Wolf EP

The Wolf - Song
Cool thanks, I will return and report ---- :D